Bridgeport Fire Tragedy Man Faces Murder Charges for Death of Woman, Injury of 12-Year-Old

Bridgeport Fire Tragedy: Man Faces Murder Charges for Death of Woman, Injury of 12-Year-Old

Chicago, USA —

Police claim that a Chicago man hurled a Molotov cocktail into a Bridgeport home over the weekend, igniting a fire that killed a 54-year-old lady and injured her 12-year-old granddaughter. The man is now being charged with arson and murder.

Two counts of murder, one act of attempted murder, and one count of aggravated arson are brought against 37-year-old Cordale Nichols.

He allegedly hurled a Molotov cocktail through the window of a row house in the 3100 block of South Green Street at roughly 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, according to the police.

Then, in the alley, he was spotted sprinting north while completely black. He was seen on tape tossing the Molotov cocktail through the glass, according to police and prosecutors.

Image – ABC News

Cordale Nichols Chicago Police — The boys who live next door took immediate action upon smelling smoke and kicked in the door before the firefighters arrived on the scene. The 12-year-old girl inside was saved, but the 54-year-old Charnette Walker, the girl’s grandmother, was out of reach.

“Our goal was to assist the grandmother,” stated Jayshawn Owens. “Jump, we told her. She is not inclined to jump. “Go get my grandbaby from the back,” she said.


Big Crime Story! Kristin Smart Murderer Ordered to Pay $350K in Restitution

The lads claimed that in order to get to the second-floor bathroom window, they dashed to the back of the home and scaled the gates.

“When we got up in there, it was so much smoke we couldn’t even breathe,” Nova Miles recalled.

The 12-year-old daughter was saved via the bathroom window, but her grandmother passed away.

According to Shareia Raymey, a neighbor, “I’ve never seen a fire that bad in all my years of living.” “It’s awful. It consumed all of it. That house is completely destroyed—everything is absolutely burning. We’re inconsolable. We’re devastated. Her granddaughter has been by her side the entire time. Be careful with that infant.”

About 45 minutes after the fire began, Nichols was taken into custody close to 29th and Halsted Streets. When they hauled him into custody, officers reportedly detected a strong gasoline odor on him.

A Cook County judge ordered Nichols to be held at Cook County Jail pending his trial at his initial court appearance on Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *